Bibliography on Medicare Reimbursement for
Advanced Practice Nurses
by Eileen M. Sullivan-Marx, PhD, RN, ANP, FAAN
- American Medical Association. (1998). Physicians' Current Procedural Terminology (4th ed). Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.
- American Medical Association. (1998). Medicare RBRVS: The Physicians' Guide. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.
- Buppert, C. (1999). Nurse Practitioner's Business Practice & Legal Guide. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen.
- Federal Register. November 2, 1998. Final rule on nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, physician assistant, certified nurse-midwives and Medicare billing. pp. 58863-58912. Acrobat Reader version
- Griffith, H. M., & Robinson, K. R. (1993). Current procedural terminology (CPT) coded services provided by nurse specialists. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 25,178-186.
- Hsiao, W. C., Braun, P., Yntema, D., & Becker, E. R. (1988). Estimating physicians' work for a resource-based relative- value scale. New England Journal of Medicine, 319, 865-867.
- Lang, N.M., Sullivan-Marx, E.M., Jenkins, M. (1996). Advanced practice nurses and success of organized delivery systems. American Journal of Managed Care, 2(2), 129-135.
- Markus, G. (1990). Medicare payment reform: Implications for the nursing specialties. Specialty Nursing Forum, 2(2), 2-7.
- Richmond, T. S., Thompson, H. J., & Sullivan-Marx, E. M. (2000). Reimbursement for acute care nurse practitioner services. American Journal of Critical Care, 9(1), 52-61A review of Medicare, collaboration as defined by Medicare, CPT codes, and what services types of services can be billed. There is a discussion of the situation of an NP employed by a hospital vs private practice including 2 case examples.
- Sullivan, E. M. (1992). Nurse practitioner & reimbursement: Case analyses. Nursing & Health Care, 13, 236-241.
- Sullivan, E., Fields, B., Kelly, J., Whelan, E.-M. (1993). Nursing centers: The new arena for advanced nursing practice. In M. D. Mezey & D. O. McGivern (Eds.), Nurses, Nurse Practitioners: Evolution to Advanced Practice (pp. 251-264). New York: Springer.
- Sullivan-Marx, E. M. (1998). Medicare reimbursement for advanced practice nurses: In the front door! Nursing Outlook, 46(1), 40-41.
- Sullivan-Marx, E.M, & Mullinix, C. (1999). Payment for advanced practice nurses: Economic structures and systems. In M.D. Mezey & D. O. McGivern Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, 3rd ed. (pp. 345-368). New York: Springer.
Web Site Sources
- American Nurses Association - www.nursingworld.org/gova/hcfaru/2.htm
- Health Care Financing Administration - www.hcfa.gov/medicare/mcarpti.htm
- NP Central Legislative Section - http://www.nurse.net/leg/
- NP Central Medicare Section - http://www.nurse.net/medicare/